Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Meals

I'm starting to like food again!  Woo hoo!  I have been taking a cooking hiatus while pregnant (aka the sight of raw meat made me want to faint and the smell of spices made me want to puke), but I am finally back to cooking again.  The other day I even chopped my first onion since I've been pregnant and I didn't gag!  Victory!  I feel like a much better wife when I cook, and I know Danny appreciates the results! In celebration of my return to food and cooking, I thought I'd post a few of my favorite recipes and maybe you'll like them too. Feel free to send your favorite recipes my way, I love to try new things!  Happy cooking (and eating)!

My FAVORITE chili recipe! (Besides my dad's chili....and he won't give me the recipe):

Savory White Chicken Chili

Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 cans  (15 oz each) cannellini beans, drained
  • 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies 
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 container (6 oz) Greek fat free plain yogurt
Directions
  1. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Cook chicken, onion, and garlic for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and yogurt.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  
  3. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and yogurt.  Serve with additional yogurt and chopped cilantro, if desired.
My FAVORITE barbecue recipe!:

Skillet BBQ Chicken

Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Servings: 6-8 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp paprika 
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp onion
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 5 Tbsp butter
  • 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/3 cup flour
Directions:
  1. Mix salt, pepper, 1 tsp paprika, sugar, garlic, onion, water, and ketchup in a small saucepan
  2. Heat over medium heat to boil
  3. Simmer on low (uncovered) for 20 minutes
  4. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and 2 Tbsp butter.  Mix well, set aside.
  5. Clean chicken well, pat dry.
  6. Put flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp paprika in a paper bag (I used a gallon sized freezer bag), shaking the chicken breasts (1 at a time) to coat them with the mix.
  7. Brown the chicken in a skillet evenly over medium heat
  8. Pour sauce mixture over chicken, cover skillet and cook SLOWLY for 40-50 minutes.
  9. Turn chicken and baste with sauce several times while cooking.
My FAVORITE burritos!

Baked Steak Burritos 

Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients
  • 1/4  cup butter
  • 1 pkg (1.25 oz) taco seasoning mix
  • 1 1/2 lb boneless sirloin tip steak, cut into thin bite-size strips
  • 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
  • 1 pkg (10.5 oz) flour tortillas for soft tacos and fajitas (12 tortillas)
  • 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 medium green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.  In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in taco seasoning mix. Add beef strips.  Cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired doneness.  Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, place refried beans in saucepan and heat over medium heat until heated through.
  3. Spread each tortilla with refried beans to within 1/4 inch of the edge.  Top each with beef, cheddar cheese, and green onions.  Roll up, folding in sides.  
  4. In ungreased 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish, place burritos with seam side down.  Pour enchilada sauce over burritos.  Sprinkle with Mexican cheese blend.  
  5. Bake uncovered 7 to 12 minutes or until burritos are thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
· 
·        


 



No comments:

Post a Comment