Monday, October 4, 2010

Food for Your Tummy, Food for Thought

Happy October! It’s no secret that I love food. For the whole first year Danny and I were married, I made a new recipe every night. I only made the same recipe two or three times maximum in that year. I think I felt like I needed to try out every recipe ever created so I could find the “world’s best” to feed my husband each night. I completely stand by the whole “The best way to a man’s heart is through is stomach” motto. It is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! I know that Danny loves me infinitely more when I make him a home-cooked meal, and I feel like a much better wife when the meal is delicious. Speaking of delicious meals, I came across a fantastic, healthy, EASY recipe for all of you burrito lovers out there. I have made it twice in two weeks….which for me, is saying a lot. :) I figured I should share the wealth. Here it is:

Burrito Guts

Ingredients
• 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 cups white rice
• 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 medium tomatoes, diced
• 4 scallions, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

To Make
1. Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
2. Cook white rice according to package directions
3. Add rice to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

It’s fresh, clean, and my favorite!

Secondly, I started my first “adult” job in August. I love being a Speech-Language Pathologist, and I LOVE the kiddos I get to work with! I feel so blessed to have a job I love, and to have the chance to continue learning and growing in such a great field. Yet somehow, in the midst of the paperwork and learning new processes in the past few weeks, I have managed to become a stress monster. When I get stressed, I get what Danny calls my “frow”….a furrowed brow. The last thing I want is to walk through the job that I love with a huge frow on my face. I think that when I get stressed, I treat it as something that “happened” to me rather than something I chose for myself. My church has been reading through the book “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. I read this book over the summer and LOVED it, but I told myself I didn’t really need to read it in-depth again. I was wrong. I was flipping through the book the other day and got smacked in the face by this little “Food for Thought” nugget:

Worry implies that we don’t quite trust that God is big enough , powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what’s happening in our lives.

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control.

Touché, Francis Chan. Touché. So my mission for the week is to lose the frow, and instead of worrying about what I’m “going through”, to put my focus on being a breath of fresh air for others and trusting in God’s promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment